Sunday, February 23, 2014

Book Talk: First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
St. Martin's Press, 2011
Paranormal Comedy Romance
___________________________________
BOOK TALK
What would you do if you saw dead people? What if you not only saw them, but they came running toward you like you're a donut and they're police officers?

Charley Davidson has this happen on a daily basis.  She is a part-time private investigator but a full-time grim reaper.  Charley sees dead people who want her to help solve their deaths.  Sucked into solving crime after crime would be easy if she got any sleep.  Her dreams are haunted by a hot entity who begs for more than the typical sleepover.  This entity has followed Charley her entire life, but does he want more?  Who is this mysterious and hot man?  What does he mean to Charley's grim reaper life?

A hysterical paranormal romance, Darynda Jones will have you snorting with laughter in the first paragraph and blushing in the next.  Charley's adventures will keep you guessing, and the unexpected romance will make you come back for more.


___________________________________
BAKER RESPONSE
I halfway agree with Baker's statement that you should "choose only books you have loved and actually read" for your book talks.  I don't think you need to have loved a book to book talk it.  I have done book talks and actually taught entire units on books I absolutely hated.  If you are good at writing book talks, you can make anything sound good.  I can admit that while I didn't like a book, that someone probably will.  Now, if a book has no redeemable qualities (poor writing, bad characters, offensive topics, etc.), I would never book talk it.  I will agree, however, that book talks are better if you loved the book.  The passion for the book can be seen and heard in your presentation.  Passion is the best seller.

For the second half of Baker's statement, I do think you need to have read the book.  If you haven't read it, how can you know what you're saying about a book is true?  It would almost be like false advertising.  I have suggested books for people that I haven't actually read, but I would never book talk one.  It would be too difficult of a sell and there wouldn't be any conviction behind what you are saying.


1 comment:

  1. I love how this is considered a "paranormal comedy romance"! I've read some of the sort but in the YA genre; this annotation makes me think of the Ghost and the Goth trilogy by Stacey Kade. First Grave on the Right is definitely something I would pick up for a fun, lighthearted read.

    ReplyDelete