Sunday, March 2, 2014

James Patterson: Book Machine

WEEK SEVEN PROMPT

After reading the article "The James Patterson Business" by Jeff Zaleski, I have to say I'm surprised by how much criticism Patterson has taken over the years.  This article was published in 2002, so I know Patterson has continued to take hits over the past 12 years of his writing.  The criticism some readers have is that he is in the "business" of writing and therefore his writing suffers.  He uses co-authors and sees his writing as a brand that he needs to sell.  I don't understand how this is an issue.  As someone who has read and loves Patterson's books, I think the more the merrier!

Patterson's background in advertising gives him a unique take on publishing books.  He sees that people want familiarity.  It works in ads, so why wouldn't it work in books?  In the article, he classifies people as two different bookstore shoppers: the regulars and the in-and-out people.  He wants to be sure to appeal to both of those types.  If you keep a consistent cover and title art for each book, people immediately recognize and are comfortable with that author.  Changing it up makes it more difficult for people to find a book.  I totally agree with this philosophy.  If people think this mindset makes Patterson's writing suffer, then they don't have to buy his books.  The average reader wants an author and storyline they recognize without too much effort.  The more prolific reader might be more critical, but that's the beauty of choice.  As a librarian, I know that people want comfort.

What critics might forget is that this "advertising" style of writing isn't new.  We see this in children's writing all the time.  Once a child is introduced to a series of books, Clifford for example, they want nothing but that book!  I have a hard time suggesting other books to that child.  Thank goodness there are hundreds of Clifford books to choose from.  The same idea works for adults.  Once they like an author, a character, storyline, etc., they want more!  Patterson recognizes this want and provides for his readers.  If the books weren't any good, he wouldn't be able to see them.

Patterson has a newer series for middle school students, and I can't keep them on the shelf.  My nephew, who is in 6th grade, says nothing but awesome things about I Funny.  The books are hysterical, and Patterson seems to understand what middle school kids want to read.  These books are the next step past The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and kids love them.  Students keep asking me when the next one is coming out.  I'm just glad Patterson is a book machine because I can always tell my students "soon."

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciated the points you raised with your post. I tend to roll my eyes at the sheer number of James Patterson + co-author books I see come through the book drop at one of my jobs, but you rightly point out that it really only matters that people know what they like and are able to find what they want. We need to know those authors, characters, and series that are hugely popular and anticipate when the next installment hits our shelves.

    ReplyDelete