Thursday, February 6, 2014

Secret Shopper Showdown

Yet another blog confession: I have never gone into the public library and asked for help finding a book.  I know this might seem like odd behavior, but I prefer to keep my reading habits somewhat private, and I do a lot of my own research before choosing books, so I don't think anyone else would help me more than I already do.  I have to say that this experience did not make me feel differently.  I may be a harsh critic, but I think my secret shopping was pretty awful.  I didn't find a good book, and, worse, I felt judged about my reading preferences.  Well, here goes.  All names have been left out to protect the (not-so) innocent. I color-coded the interview so it would be easier to follow.

I started out my interview by walking straight up to the information desk.  It was centrally located and very well-marked.  There were not any reading lists available, but there was some information about their current reading programs.  There were three library workers standing around the desk and talking.  One (TL) walked away when I approached the trio.  The librarian (L) behind the computer asked if she could help me and the other librarian (OL) stood next to me during the interview. 

L: Can I help you with something?

Me: Yes, I need help finding a book.

L: Do you have a certain book in mind?

Me: No, I kind of need help with that too.

L: (deep sigh, laugh, and grimace to other librarian) Fiction or nonfiction?

Me: Fiction. I actually like zombie books. (I laugh to lighten the mood.)

L: Oh no. Hmmm. Zombies. (Starts typing on the computer.)

Me: I recently read a book called The Remaining, but I think it's only an ebook.

L: (Looks at screen and gets a slip of paper) Well, here's what I have on vampires.

Me: (I interrupt) No, not vampires.  I like zombie books.  Really anything apocalyptic works for me.

L: Oh yeah, shoot.  Not vampires.

Me: What website are you using?

L: Fantastic Fiction, but it's being weird for me, so it might not work.

Me: (Trying to get more questions going) I've read a lot of YA zombie books, but I'm looking for more adult books.

OL: Do you like "The Walking Dead?"

Me: I love it!

OL: Have you read The Governor books?

Me: No, but are they graphic novels?  I don't like graphic novels.

OL: No, they are actual books and are really great for fans of "The Walking Dead."

L: I should have written down the books I set aside for you (talking to the OL).  (To me) She loves zombie books.  Well, here's what I found (hands me the slip of paper).

Me: Where do I find these books?

L: In "F".  It starts over there (points to a large section of the library to my left). If you don't find any books that you like, come back and let me know because it means we should buy more books like that.

Me: Okay, thanks.

TL: (To L) Did she ask you about zombie books?

L: Haha. Yeah.

TL: (Grimace) Better you than me.


I walked away with my tiny slip of paper.  My confidence wasn't great, and I felt awful about my reading choice.  Who knew reading books about zombies was so terrible?  If she had bothered to ask, I would have told her that I like survivor stories. I especially liked that The Remaining had a military aspect to the story.  I like a lot of action and well-developed characters, but I wasn't asked anything past my saying zombies.  I would have loved the name and author of "The Walking Dead" books, but I didn't get that information.


Looking at the suggestions, they were all over the place.  She had Jim Butcher and Patricia Briggs - both fantasy authors, but not zombies.  I can, however, kind of see the connection between those two and my genre.  The third author was Margaret Atwood.  I absolutely cannot see how she fits into the zombie genre.  The last author was James Rawles. He was actually a good (but accidental) choice because he writes survival books from a military point of view.  I wasn't give any titles, so I wasn't sure what book to look for.  This might have helped me with which Atwood book to look at, but I'm not sure about that.

After looking through the book choices (about five minutes), I walked back toward the desk to tell her I didn't find anything.  The desk was empty.  I stood there for a minute and then decided to leave when no one came back.  Overall, I left unhappy.  I'm not sure I will ask for help again in the future.  It did give me a great view of what I shouldn't do to other people in my own library thought.  So I did learn something :)

5 comments:

  1. Well done! I love that you added the piece of paper! Great job! It is actually fun to go in & "play dumb!" Sounds like she might have been more helpful if the other librarian wasn't near to "help!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda of wondering how they were getting vampires when you were asking for zombies. Also wondering if they act like that to all of their patrons or whether they favored the zombie genre or not. ( I'll admit I've had a few " Really, you want that?" but it's the patron's preference, not mine ( unless they ask)

    It's okay, I do my own searching too. This is perhaps the first time I ask ( although I think I ended up asking more for a particular book than getting a full RA experience. I don't know if I ask again in the future or see about looking for someone else to ask for help. )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe the unprofessional behavior of the staff members!! Well, actually, I do believe it because I have encountered staff members like that before! All patrons should be treated with respect no matter how the staff member feels about the genre. No put downs of people or genres! Perhaps some people get bored with their jobs after awhile and feel they need to react to patron requests with sighs, grimaces, and sarcastic laughs. The behavior is not just unprofessional - it's very childish! I will now step down from my soapbox....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very wrong for the librarian to judge you by the type of books you read. It is too bad they made fun of you and let you out on a wild goose chase. The librarian should have found a zombie book for you, even if that is not what they like to read. I don't like to ask for help either because I look for gay books and I don't want everyone to know I am gay. It was hard for me to even ask the question. This is a real learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo frustrating. You asked an easy, fun question and got attitude back! I would be so excited if I got that question at my library! I am so sorry; and I am embarrassed for the library you went to and the staff who "helped" you.

    ReplyDelete