Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Remaining Adventures

The Remaining by DJ Molles
ebook; 20 June 2012
Adventure

Here is my review for the much-maligned zombie book I used as the basis for my Secret Shopper assignment.  I only hope I can do this amazing and wonderful book justice.  I have loved the zombie culture since I started watching "The Walking Dead" and reading Jonathan Maberry's Rot & Ruin series.  Although they have zombies in the story, I actually love the adventure aspect.  Zombie-lit is fast-paced and creates situations for the characters to grow.  If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.  The biggest haters are the ones who don't know anything about it.  On to the book...

Molles' book is only available as an ebook, so you will need to read it on your favorite device.  Although technically a zombie book, this book is more about survival than anything else.  The main character, Lee Harden, is part of an exclusive special ops military group that is in charge of rebuilding the U.S. in case of a major terrorist attack.  Lee and other soldiers just like him are placed in a bunker during the threat and released if the threat ends.  If he doesn't have contact from his supervisor for 48 hours, he can read his mission.  After reading his mission, he must stay in the bunker for one month.  Although the "bunker" is actually a very comfortable underground house with all the comforts of home, it doesn't have windows and Lee quickly becomes stir crazy.  He keeps thinking about the mission - a sickness that has taken over the world - and wonders what might be going on above him.

A quick read, The Remaining shows us what could happen in the worst case scenario.  Lee is an insanely well-trained hero who still manages to make mistakes.  The reader connects to him because he is so human.  Molles' doesn't mess up the story with silly romance or excessive emotions.  The story is packed with details about the plague-ravaged world and Lee's reactions to his experiences.  His survival skills and training help him to become a natural leader, and his unquestioning loyalty to his country and mission is tested at every turn.  If you love this book as much as I did, don't worry because there are four books in the series and the fifth book will hopefully be out soon!

READ-A-LIKES (click the link for Amazon)
ebook, Road to Babylon Media; 5 July 2014






Ulyssess Press; 1 May 2009





Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers; 2011

3 comments:

  1. I liked your use of links to provide background info for your annotation. I could tell that being an eBook and part of a series this novel works well for its intended audience. Having to live underground for a month is an interesting scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read the first two books in the Rot and Ruin series and absolutely love them. I am a fan of The Walking Dead and have enjoyed the few zombie novels that I have read. I've never heard of The Remaining but it sounds intriguing. Unfortunately, I do not have an e-reader of any kind so will not be able to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Come to the dark side and get an e-reader! I love real books, but the ease of an e-reader is amazing. Being able to order the next book in a series with one click at 2 a.m. is dangerous but awesome :)

      Delete