Thursday, April 10, 2014

YA? Y Not?

WEEK THIRTEEN PROMPT

I can't believe adults don't read YA novels or have to be convinced to read them.  YA books are so well-written and engaging.  YA authors know they have to win over the most difficult of readers: teens.  As a result, their books are entertaining, relevant, and believable.  When I was a teen, this genre didn't exist.  We had a few books that were quality literature for our age, but most of the books I read were written for adults.  I actually prefer to read YA books now because I know they will be quick and accessible.  I sometimes feel like books written for adults can be intimidating.  It's almost like they are trying too hard to be smart.  I don't want a book that makes my head hurt; I want to be entertained.  With the quality of YA literature out there, I can't stop reading it.  I admit that I have had to convince some of my friends or teacher colleagues to read some of the books I'm reading, but they are almost always happy.  The biggest YA crossover author (in my mind) is John Green.  His books are pure relatable genius.  I highlight constantly because he has so many meaningful passages.  He understands what it is to be a teen - and, deep down, we still have that teen in us.  I know when I read his books, I remember who I used to be and it all makes more sense now.  I have no problem suggesting YA books to adults and, in fact, would prefer it :)

As for graphic novels, these have been a newer addition to my high school's library, so I know adults might not realize the value in them.  Our students have grabbed onto them quickly, and I would definitely suggest graphic novels to adults who asked for new books to read.  With so many TV show and movie inspired graphic novels, they can be easy to recommend.  "Game of Thrones," "The Walking Dead," Watchmen, and V for Vendetta to name a few.  In some cases the graphic novel/comic came first, but some of the others it was the reverse.  This article about "Game of Thrones" explains why some may read the graphic novel but not the actual novel. ("A Game of Thrones" by Mark Flowers)

The last genre, street lit, would not be something many people would ask for in my school or public libraries because of our demographic, but I can see the appeal.  Like I mentioned on the YA paragraph, people want relatable reading material.  If someone asked for the topics you mentioned, I would be sure to find street lit to fit their needs.

Ultimately the goal is to get people reading books they like.  The relatable topics of the street lit and YA genres will attract adults, and the sophistication of the artwork and storyline in graphic novels will have them coming back for more.

3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when you mentioned John Green! I love John Green too, but boy does he make my job difficult! Because his books are so amazingly well written and popular all the teens in my area want to read them. Unfortunately the local middle schools aren't allowed to buy his books for their library due to some mature subjects. I'm always a little afraid to booktalk them when I go to the middle schools because I don't want to get the school librarians in trouble, but I know the kids want to read these books! And of course we have multiple copies at the public libraries, and they go out constantly, but how do I market them to a restricted but willing audience? Oh the drama! Oh the dilemma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's important that teens and adults know that there are so many subgenres/choices in YA to pick from. If these items don't circulate then they might be weeded out. As a teen I didn't have YA either so now I want to catch up on these books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have his books at my junior high, but I worry constantly that a parent might get upset. I hope all of the other amazing things about his books outweigh a few realistic situations. The best thing about John Green's writing is that he doesn't glorify any situation. He tells it like a teen wants to hear it. Teens (I have discovered) are the biggest critics of bull and will call you on it quickly. Green's novels are so real they touch your heart and stay with you.

    ReplyDelete