Saturday, April 26, 2014

Reading: My Forever Love

WEEK SIXTEEN PROMPT

First, how have reading and books changed since you were a child, for you specifically? Second, talk a little about what you see in the future for reading, books, or publishing - say 20 years from now. Will we read more or less, will our reading become more interactive? What will happen to traditional publishing?

Reading hasn't changed much for me except in content and format. I have loved reading since I was very young. My mom is a prolific reader, and my parents read to me every night as a little kid. With my mom being a librarian, she knew all the good books for us to read, and I always had the inside scoop. I never dropped off as a reader like some teens do. It seems like as people get busier with driving, dating, sports, etc. they stop reading. Not me. I absolutely cannot sleep without reading first. I may only get through one paragraph, but darn it, I'm reading. I used to read more romance novels and horror books (especially as a teen), but I got into fantasy in college. When I would read a scary book, I would hide it in a drawer because I was worried the cover art or words would get inside my dreams. Looking back now, I might have been too young to read those books. I read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in college and haven't looked back. I still prefer fantasy over most genres. As an adult I've started liking darker books again, but more because of the the survival stories they can be. I like thinking about what it takes to survive in difficult circumstances. The only other real change has been the eBook. I never thought I would read an electronic book, but I now get mad when a book isn't available as an eBook. My Kindle is my constant companion. I still read constantly, just different types and in a different way.

Something I never think about as "reading" is Twitter, but I read so many articles and news stories on there that I wouldn't have before. I think reading has increased more than ever. I'm not sure about fiction reading, but there are different types of reading. Reading is definitely more interactive. I love that I can look up words on my Kindle and even quickly search about a topic I've never heard about. I often find myself looking something up I saw in a story and then end up in a black hole of knowledge. I get sucked in and can't stop reading! I think there is still a need for traditional publishing because, weirdly enough, teens prefer reading print. I've tried to get them moved to eBooks, but they are more hesitant than adults about the switch. One teen told me that she is on her device all the time as it is, so a book feels like an escape. Overall, I think that's the point. As long as people are escaping, whether that's through Twitter articles, print books, or their e-readers, the heart of reading still exists.

4 comments:

  1. Agreed Lucy - I read all the time & don't realize it - articles on Twitter also - & other electronic "places." One thing I didn't care about when my boys were younger about them playing video games was the fact the games actually required lots of reading & those words were more difficult than anything a teacher had assigned - now, that they are teenagers they spend time on the video games I'd rather they wouldn't - but, since my oldest has a 3.98 gpa I guess he is doing ok. My high school gpa was never that high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to read the Pew Research Center's "2013 Younger Americans’ Library Habits and Expectations" report which stated, "Three-quarters (75%) of younger Americans say they have read at least one book in print in the past year, compared with 64% of adults ages 30 and older." The report also noted that print reading among teens remains steady. I think that your explanation makes a lot of sense. To this age group, print books must seem like an escape. Also unlike your phone, tablet, or other electronic device, print books don't distract the reader with incoming text messages so you can get lost in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still remember a phrase from one of the early readings in this class, "the tug and traction of reading." The author was describing the way the brain processes words on a printed page as opposed to the slick gloss of an electronic screen. Maybe that's part of the lure of print books to teens who already spend lots of time in the digital world. I do think there is a subtle difference in the way our brains assimilate the words we read in different mediums. Maybe over time, individual readers will make conscious format choices in their genre reading, like reading non-fiction in audio form, historical fiction in print codex form, and science fiction in ebook form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you have always read. I did much more when I was I child as compared to being an adult. There is so many pressures as an adult it is hard to sit down. I am really glad for this class because I had to read books. I get tired of textbooks and reading things on the computer. I am glad you like your e-reader but I must agree with the teenager, that if you spend to much on time on electronic devices a book in print is an escape. I like they should make people read the book before the movie comes. I just realized recently that a lot of classic movies came from classic books, even Dracula.

    ReplyDelete